The Workshop on the History of Tropical Medicine (WTM) organized by the Centre for Global Health and Tropical Medicine (GHTM) will take place at the IHMT, in Lisbon, on 14th and 15th December 2017, forming part of the celebrations of the institute’s 115th anniversary.
The WTM wishes to provide a platform to further develop the debate and cast a critical eye on the historiography of tropical medicine, privileging the presentation of new ideas, approaches and data on the field of tropical medicine in the broadest sense of the term over time from the late 1800s to the present. We welcome contributions that offer multi-, trans-disciplinary and comparative perspectives on the historiography of tropical medicine. We strongly encourage PhD and post-doc researchers to submit proposals, providing them with an opportunity for an informed and constructive debate on their research projects.
Submissions versed in English are invited to submit papers for oral presentations. Please provide title, an extended abstract (max. 500 words) and a short biographical note (max. 150 words with your institutional affiliation and e-mail) and submit your proposal by 15th September 2017 to the following e-mail address: workshopTMhistory@ihmt.unl.pt
For more information, please click here or send an e-mail to workshopTMhistory@ihmt.unl.pt.
We look forward to seeing you at the WTM!
- Submission of proposals: 22nd September 2017
- Communication of results: 1st October 2017
- Extended text submission: 1st December
- Sanjoy Bhattacharya (Centre for Global Health Histories/University of York, UK)
- Guillaume Lachenal (Laboratoire SPHERE, Université Paris Diderot)
- Emília Noormohamed (Faculty of Medicine, Universidade Eduardo Mondlane, Mozambique)
- Filomeno Fortes (Faculty of Medicine, Universidade Agostinho Neto, Angola)
- Socrates Litsios (retired Senior Scientist World Health Organization)
- Jaime Larry Benchimol (FioCruz/Casa Osvaldo Cruz, Brazil)
- Magali Romero de Sá (FioCruz/Casa Osvaldo Cruz, Brazil)
- Paulo H. Martinez (Universidade Estadual de São Paulo, Brazil)
- Isabel Amaral (Faculdade de Ciência e Tecnologia/Universidade NOVA de Lisboa)
- Cristiana Bastos (Instituto de Ciências Sociais/Instituto Universitário de Lisboa)
- Virgílio do Rosário (retired Full Professor IHMT-Universidade NOVA de Lisboa)
- Jorge Seixas (IHMT- Universidade NOVA de Lisboa)
- Philip J. Havik (IHMT-UNL)
- Isabel Amaral (FCT-UNL)
- Zulmira Hartz (deputy-director IHMT-UNL/FioCruz-Casa Osvaldo Cruz)
- Paula Saraiva (IHMT-UNL)
- Celeste Figueiredo (IHMT-UNL)