The growing impact of arboviral diseases transmitted by mosquitoes, have promoted research on the epidemiology, diagnosis, treatment and control of these diseases, as well as, an urgent need for trained personnel in this research area.
At the end of this module, students should be able to contribute to research or to plan interventions to control this group of diseases.
Specifically they should be able to:
- Organise epidemiologic data on arboviral diseases (geographic distribution, reservoirs and vectors of the major arboviruses);
- Assess the importance of environmental changes on mosquito-vector populations;
- Assess the receptivity of a region for the (re)-emergence of an arboviral disease;
- Design surveillance and control strategies to this group of diseases and manage the laboratory skills required to their implementation.
› Graduates in life Science or with relevant curriculum or professional experience.
Accredited as a TropEd advanced course
Start date: 24 April, 2018
End date: 8 May, 2018
Classroom schedule: 1.30 pm to 8 pm
- Arboviruses and arboviral diseases: definitions and types of disease transmission. Major arboviral
infections and their epidemiology.
- Main arboviruses: classification, structure, genomic organization and replicative cycle.
- Mosquito vectors collection methods and morphological identification.
- Entomological parameters important for the epidemiology of an arboviral infection.
- Arboviral diseases: a history of invasion and (re) emergence.
- Clinical aspects of arboviral diseases.
- Laboratorial diagnosis of the major arboviral infections.
- Detection of Alphavirus by RT-PCR, reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction and by neutralization reactio.
Course with 2 ECTS: 60 hours SIT
Contact: 30 hours (6 hours Lectures, 8.5 hours Lectures followed by practical class, 7.5 hours Practical laboratory classes, 2 hours seminars, 6 hours tutorials)
Self-study: 30 hours (20 private reading, 10 writing assessment)
1st edition: 6
2nd edition: 6
- Application Form;
- Degree Certificate;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Copy of Citizens Card / Fiscal Card or Passport;
NIB: 0010 0000 4092 5060 0018 8;
IBAN: PT50 0010 0000 4092 5060 0018 8;
Bank transfer proof should be attached into the Application form.