The impact of parasitic diseases, unleashed an interest on the biology, diagnosis, treatment and control of parasitic diseases, which increasingly depends on molecular and technologically innovative approaches. This course aims to meet the need for training in a rapidly evolving area within parasitology.
By the end of the course the student should be able to:
- Comprehend, recognize, explain, evaluate and discuss critically the biology, diagnosis, epidemiology, taxonomy, vaccines and drug resistance of parasites of medical importance and their vectors
- Perform practical laboratory techniques.
› Graduates in life Science or with relevant curriculum or professional experience.
Accredited as a TropEd advanced course
Start date: April 19, 2018
End date: May 24, 2018
Schedule: Thursdays and Fridays, from 13.30 pm to 8 pm
The course will have 59 contact hours, of lectures, practical laboratory classes, seminars, group work and tutorials on the following subjects:
- Life cycle and molecules
- Molecular taxonomy and evolution
- Cell invasion and mobility – Apicomplexa and trypanosomatids
- Phylogeny, population biology and vector control
- Insecticide resistance
- Molecular approaches and entomological parameters
- Antigenic variation in Plasmodium and Trypanosoma
- Diagnosis of human tripanosomiases, schistosomiasis and intestinal parasites
- Gene Expression
- Mechanisms of drug resistance in Plasmodium, Leishmania and Helminths
- Schistosoma/mollusc: resistance or susceptibility?
- Seminars- Applications of microarrays in parasitology
- Online Application form;
- Degree Certificate;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Copy of ID / Fiscal Card OU Citizens Card / Passport
IBAN: PT50 0010 0000 4092 5060 0018 8;
The bank transfer proof should be attached into the application form.