- +351 213 652 600
- +351 213 632 105
- Send Mail
Diana Machado is a Post-Doc Fellow at the Unidade de Microbiologia Médica, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Universidade Nova de Lisboa (IHMT/UNL).
She has a degree in Biology from Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias de Lisboa; MSc in Medical Microbiology, by Universidade Nova de Lisboa, and a PhD in Biomedical Sciences, speciality Microbiology, by IHMT/UNL.
Her main areas of interest are tuberculosis and other mycobacteriosis. The research comprises:
- study of mechanisms of drug resistance in M. tuberculosis with special interest on the resistance mechanisms mediated by efflux pumps, acquisition of mutations in drug targets and the interplay between the efflux and the mutations;
- studies on antimycobacterial activity of new compounds and in vitro and ex vivo characterization of their mode of action and mechanism of resistance against drug-susceptible, multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant M. tuberculosis as an approach to prevent efflux-mediated resistance and boost therapy in active and latent tuberculosis;
- M. tuberculosis susceptibility testing evaluation: study on drug resistance levels and its genetic basis;
- evaluation of molecular systems for the detection of M. tuberculosis and screening of mutations that confer resistance to antituberculosis drugs,
- studies on mechanism of resistance and pathogenicity of nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM); vi) evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of new compounds against NTM and
- phenotypic and molecular characterization of NTM.
Currently a Researcher at Unidade de Microbiologia Médica, IHMT/UNL, has participated in several research projects in those areas, as well in Master courses, co-supervision of Master students and in advanced training programs in mycobacteriology.
Diana Machado is author/co-author of 23 peer-reviewed publications, 1 book chapter, 2 laboratory manuals, and 65 communications in congress and other scientific meetings (oral and poster).