- +351 213 652 600
- +351 213 632 105
- Enviar Mail
My group is centered on the mosquito response to the infection and how this response can be modulated by external factors. Our goal is to develop effective tools to prevent malaria transmission by Anopheles mosquitoes. We investigate the role and mechanism of action of molecules able to modulate mosquito response to parasite, increasing resistance to infection. The role of microbiota on the response to Plasmodium infection is also under investigation. We use murine malaria and Anopheles gambiae and Anopheles stephensi mosquitoes. Most recently a similar approach, but using mosquitoes collected in the field and experimentally infected with Plasmodium vivax is being developed at Fundação de Medicina Tropical Dr Heitor Vieira Dourado (FMT-HVD) Manaus, Brazil. At the FMT-HVD we also develop activities on the molecular characterization of Trypanosoma cruzi from the Amazon and its association with the eco-biology of vectors and other vertebrate hosts.
Team: Ana Custódio, Maria Lusa Simões, Joana Gomes, Isa Pires, Bruno Simões
- Silveira H, Gabriel A, Ramos S, Palma J, Felix R, Custodio A, Collins V. 2012. CpG-containing oligodeoxynucleotides increases resistance of Anopheles mosquitoes to Plasmodium infection. Insect Biochem Mol Biol 42:758-765
- Monteiro WM, Magalhães LKC, de Sá ARN, Gomes ML, Toledo MJdO, L, Pires I, Guerra JAO, Silveira H, Barbosa MGV. 2012. Trypanosoma cruzi IV Causing Outbreaks of Acute Chagas Disease and Infections by Different Haplotypes in the Western Brazilian Amazonia. PLoS ONE 7(7): e41284.
- Félix RC, Silveira H. 2011. The Interplay between Tubulins and P450 Cytochromes during PlasmodiumbergheiInvasion of Anopheles gambiae Midgut.PLoS ONE 6: e24181.
- Félix RC, Müller P, Ribeiro V, Ranson H, Silveira H. 2010. Plasmodium infection alters Anopheles gambiaedetoxification gene expression. BMC genomics 19;11(1):312.
- Mendes C, Felix R, Sousa AM, Lamego J, Charlwood D, do Rosario VE, Pinto J, Silveira H. 2010. Molecular evolution of the three short PGRPs of the malaria vectors Anopheles gambiae and Anopheles arabiensis in East Africa. BMC Evol Biol 12;10(1):9.