- +351 213 652 600
- +351 213 632 105
- Enviar Mail
Luís Velez Lapão is a Researcher and Professor of International Public Health at Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical – Universidade Nova de Lisboa. He is also President of the NGO AGO-Associação para a Cooperação e Desenvolvimento Garcia de Orta.
PhD in Systems Engineering (Healthcare management) from the Technical University of Lisbon, Master in Physics and graduated in Physics Engineering from Technical University of Lisbon. He was Visiting Professor of Healthcare Management at Karolinska Institutet (Medical Management Center) in 2014 and at Dubai University in 2009. He was Visiting Professor of Project Management in Medical Informatics at University of Porto from 2007 to 2009. He is an active member of the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Health Workforce Policy and Planning since 2011. He was Director of the PACES program (National Institute of Administration/ Ministry of Health) responsible for the training in Management and Leadership for Managers of Primary Health Care in Portugal (2008-10). Coordinated several strategic and reorganization projects in various hospitals and health-centers. He is auditor of the European Commission for the Healthcare Information Systems since 2005.
He works in the areas of innovation and organizational development in health, with emphasis in the areas of Capacity Strengthening, Implementation Science, leadership, change management, project management, and management of information systems in health and telemedicine (e.g. the telemedicine system in Cape Verde and Angola, and the European Project Momentum).
He is the Principal Investigator in three research projects: “OSYRISH-FCT” using an Information System to reduce healthcare-acquired infections, focusing on collaborative work between professionals and organization of work in Portugal and Cape Verde (2013-2015; 65.000€); EEA Grants HAITool: Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Intervention including the development of an information system. Collaboration with University of the Northern Norway and University Hospital of Geneva. (2015-2016; 215 000 €); and TECH-4 (Capacity building program in Portuguese): Telemedicine services in Angola (supporting the municipalization), with University Hospital Geneva, and the Ministry of Health of Angola. 2015 (World Bank; 20.000€). And Team Member. Contratualization in Primary Care (INSA-AGO-Ministry of Health). (2014-2016; 40000€).
He is author and co-author of over 30 peer reviewed papers and seven books/Chapters.
Luís Lapão works in innovation and capacity strengthening in healthcare organizations, with emphasis in the areas of Implementation Science, leadership, change management, project management, and management of information systems in health and telemedicine.
Currently these are the ongoing projects:
- EEA Grants Project HAITool: Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Intervention including the development of an information system. Collaboration with University of the Northern Norway and University Hospital of Geneva. 2015-2016
- Project Promoting Telemedicine in Angola: Telemedicine services in Angola (supporting the municipalization), led by University Hospital Geneva, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health of Angola. 2015 (World Bank)
- FCT Project OSYRISH – “Organizational Intervention to support the Management and the reduction of hospital-acquired infections – Hand hygiene and Antibiotic Stewardship” (Portugal and Cape Verde, and in collaboration with Karolinska Institutet). 2013-2015 (Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia)
- Management, Innovation and Contratualization Modelization in Primary Care. 2014-2016 (INSA-AGO-Ministry of Health)
- e-PharmaCare: eHealth combining Primary-care and Pharmacy Services. (Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia and ADMT)
Team: João Gregório, Alexandra Simões, Rita Marques, Pedro Pinto, Miguel Gil, Mélanie Maia, Damas Macaia, Artur Correia, Rui Cortes, Marília Silva
- Gregório, J., Russo, G., & Lapão, L. V. (2015). Pharmaceutical Services Cost Analysis Using Time-Driven Activity Based Costing: A Contribution to Improve Community Pharmacies’ Management. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy. (IF:1,438)
- Cruz-Correia R, Boldt I, Lapão LV, Pereira C., Rodrigues PP, Ferreira AM , Freitas A (2013). Analysis of the quality of Hospital Information Systems audit trails. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. 13:84. (IF: 1,50)
- Jaruseviciene L, Liseckiene I, Valius L, Kontrimiene A, Jarusevicius G & Lapão LV (2013). Teamwork in primary care: Perspectives of general practitioners and community nurses in Lithuania. BMC Family Practice, 14:118. (IF: 1,74)
- Lapão LV, Dussault G (2012) From policy to reality: clinical managers’ views of the organizational challenges of primary care reform in Portugal. The International Journal of Health Planning and management. (IF: 0,971).
- Kuhn, K. A., Giuse, D. A., Lapao, L., & Wurst, S. H. R. (2007). Expanding the scope of health information systems-from hospitals to regional networks, to national infrastructures, and beyond. Methods Inf Med, 46(4), 500-502. (IF: 2.248)