- +351 213 652 600
- +351 213 632 105
- Send Mail
Marcelo Sousa Silva has a PhD in Biotechnology (IST-UTL-Portugal, 2006), MSc in Biotechnology (USP-Brazil, 2001) and Graduation in Pharmaceutical Sciences (UFRN-Brazil, 1999). During his degree, he was a Research Fellowship at the Instituto Butantan and at the University of São Paulo. He developed his Post-doctoral at the Centro de Biologia Molecular Severo Ochoa – Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain, 2007) and at the Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical – Universidade Nova de Lisboa (IHMT-UNL-Portugal, from 2007 to 2012). Currently, Marcelo Silva is an Assistant Researcher at the IHMT-UNL.
His major scientific contributions are focused on the experimental model of infection caused by Trypanosoma brucei (etiological agent of African trypanosomiasis or sleeping sickness/Nagana), Chagas disease and malaria.
He authored several international peer-reviewed papers, peer-reviewed papers presented in conference proceedings, and book chapters. He has one grant obtained from Seventh Framework Programme 2012-2016 (FP7 – European Commission), two research projects supported by FCT (PTDC/CVT/102486 and PTDC/CVT/72624/2006), one bilateral cooperation research project supported by FCT-Portugal and Capes-Brazil, and one multilateral programmes and scientific network consortium supported by CYTED (2010 – 2013).
Finally, he has supervised fifteen master dissertations and currently supervises three PhD and three Master students.
ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0002-1000-0149
Researcher ID: F-9961-2011
- Immunopathology of infectious caused by trypanosomatids (Trypanosoma cruzi, Trypanosoma brucei and Leishmania spp)
- Vaccine development against neglected tropical diseases
- Development of diagnosis tests
- Clinical trials for development of drugs against neglected tropical diseases
Team: PhD Students – Maria Lina Antunes, Sónia Pestana, Jailson Querido, Yorleydy Ruiz Moreno
- Querido JFB, Echeverría MG, Marti GA, Costa RM, Susevich ML, Rabinovich JE, Copa A, Montaño NA, Garcia L, Cordova M, Torrico F, Sánchez-Eugenia R, Sánchez-Magraner L, Muñiz-Trabudua X, López-Marijuan I, Rozas-Dennis GS, Diosque P, Castro AM, Robello C, Rodríguez JS, Altcheh J, Salazar-Schettino PM, Bucio MI, Espinoza B, Guérin DMA, Silva MS. Seroprevalence of Triatoma virus (Dicistroviridae: Cripaviridae) antibodies in Chagas disease patients. Parasites & Vectors, 8: 29, 2015. Doi: 10.1186/s13071-015-0632-9.
- Costa RM, Nogueira F, de Sousa KP, Vitorino R, Silva MS. Immunoproteomic analysis of Plasmodium falciparum antigens using sera from patients with clinical history of imported malaria. Malaria Journal, 12: 100-106 , 2013.
- Querido JFB, Agirre J, Marti GA, Guérin DMA, Silva MS. Inoculation of Triatoma virus (Dicistroviridae: Cripavirus) elicits a non-infective imune response in mice. Parasites & Vectors, 6: 66-71 , 2013.
- Lança AS, de Sousa KP, Atouguia J, Prazeres DM, Monteiro GA, Silva MS. Trypanosoma brucei: immunisation with plasmid DNA encoding invariant surface glycoprotein gene is able to induce partial protection in experimental African trypanosomiasis. Exp. Parasitol., 127: 18-24, 2011.
- De Sousa KP, Atoguia J, Silva MS. Partial biochemical characterization of a metalloproteinase from the bloodstream forms of Trypanosoma brucei brucei parasites. Protein J., 29: 283-289, 2010.