- +351 213 652 600
- +351 213 632 105
- Enviar Mail
Paulo Ferrinho, with South African and Portuguese nationality, is Full Professor of International Health, at the Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Universidade Nova de Lisboa (IHMT/UNL), where he is the Director since 2009.
- Other relevant current posts include:
Vice-Presidency of the Board of the Federation of European Societies of Tropical Medicine and International Health (since 2013).
- Membership of the Scientific Board of the Centro de Educação Médica of the University Agostinho Neto, Luanda, Angola (since 2013).
- Human Resources Consultant to the Ministry of Health of Angola (since 2013).
- Membership of the Group of Advisors on R4HA of the Council on Health Research for Development (COHRED), Geneva, Switzerland (since 2011).
- Membership of the TDR Joint Coordinating Board of WHO, Geneva (since 2011).
- Membership of the Unidade de Acompanhamento, of the Instituto Nacional de Saúde Dr. Ricardo Jorge (since 2011).
- Quality Consultant to the Entidade Reguladora da Saúde (the Regulatory Health Authority of Portugal) (since 2010).
- Technical health advisor to the Comunidade dos Países de Língua Portuguesa (CPLP – Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries) (since 2008).
He has a Medical degree from the University of Cape Town; a Diploma in Tropical Medicine & Hygiene (DTM&H) and two masters degrees by the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa; and a PhD in Community Health, by the Medical University of Southern Africa, Ga-rankwa, South Africa. Undertook advanced post-graduate studies in epidemiology as a British Council Scholar at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom.
His areas of expertise include:
- General – Public health, Health policy and Strategic management.
- Specific – Epidemiology, Human Resources for Health (special focus on human resources planning and health workers training), maternal and child health and travel medicine.
Has been involved in collaborative international work in Europe, Africa (all Lusophone countries and Eritrea, Zambia and South Africa), South America (Brazil) and Asia (Thailand and East Timor).
Paulo Ferrinho has authored 84 publications.